Alternative Hydro Solutions
The Freestream Darrieus Water Turbine
1. Their ability to have a greater diameter than depth which enables more area to be swept in a shallow stream and therefore more power production per turbine.
2. The vertical shaft provides easy maintenance as the electrical components and bearings are above water.
3. increased efficiency over propeller turbines not specifically designed as water current turbines.
Considerations for installations:
1. The prevention of river borne debris. A ‘trash rack’ or similar screening system should be constructed to protect the rotating assembly. Planning should also be done for quick removal in storm runoffs or spring season.
2. Mounting of the vertical shaft frame. A partial or complete support beam needs to span horizontally over the swift running water portion of your stream or river. Existing infrastructure is ideal; or a raft, vertically driven stanchions, etc.
3. Sizing the correct turbine for your site. Maximum power potential should be observed, and AHS will work with you to achieve the best suited model for your needs. Learning your annual flow rates, as well as your local governing bodies’ waterway restrictions are primary goals.
4. Wiring. Follow local codes if possible, using copper cable in the biggest AWG you can afford. Whether you have a short run to your batteries or not, the bigger the better to minimize power losses.
Alternative Hydro Solutions sells the turbines themselves, or the complete set up and installation if desired. They are located in Toronto, Ontario Canada. See their website at www.althydrosolutions.com
There aren't any products in this collection!